Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Some Not So Random Quotes About Hell


Yeah, I know I haven't posted for a bit. That is a tale for another post...

So I have been recently writing a few essays. One is discussing Frankenstein and personal hell.  Fun subject, I know. Anyhoo, part of my research involved looking into personal philosophies of what personal hell is. I found more than I need for the piece, but found them too profound not to share.


  • “Every man is his own hell” H. L. Mencken
  • “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.” Oscar Wilde
  • “So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wives' tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. Hell is—other people!” Jean-Paul Sartre, No Exit
  • “Hell isn't other people. Hell is yourself.” Ludwig Wittgenstein
  • “Hell isn't merely paved with good intentions; it's walled and roofed with them. Yes, and furnished too.” Aldous Huxley
  • “I think hell is something you carry around with you. Not somewhere you go.” Neil Gaiman, Season of Mists
  • “Hell is just a frame of mind.” Christopher Marlowe, Dr. Faustus
  • “When you're in hell, only a devil can point the way out.” Joe Abercrombie, Half a King
  • “But she's wrong about hell. You don't have to wait until you're dead to get there.” Susan Beth Pfeffer, Life As We Knew It
  • “Hell is truth seen too late.” Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Food for thought...




No comments: