Sunday, June 25, 2006

My IQ doesn't directly correlate to my bra size

This is a subject that I have been dealing with for years. I've decided to speak my mind about it.

I know that, especially lately it seems, that we have been dealing with the many forms of discrimination. Racial, sexual, religious, age, etc; you name it, somebody probably hates you for no good reason for it. The subject of this post is a beauty discrimination.


Calm down, I know what you are thinking. "Who discriminates against beautiful people?" Just me a chance to explain. What I mean is that many people assume, incorrectly I might add, that if you are and attractive person, you are not very intelligent. Not so, let me present you with a prime example. How many of you here have heard of a show called "Beauty & the Geek"? For those who haven't, here's a quick synopsis: 8 "geeks" & 8 "beauties" are put together as coupes to compete for cash & prizes by having the groups taken out of their comfort zones; the girls in intellectual stuff, geeks with "girly" stuff. At the end of just about every episode, everyone, including the girls themselves, are surprised at how smart they really are. OH MY GOD!!!

Now, I have been told numerous times throughout my 36 years that I am a fairly attractive person. (I don't personally agree with it, but that's an argument for another day) I am also fairly well endowed. AND...I have a near genius IQ. Yet, for some strange unknown reason, people are surprises, dare I say shocked, at that last statement. WHY??? The statement that dives me absolutely insane is, "You're smarter than you look." Really?!?! I didn't know that intelligence had an appearance.

I have a position at my job where, if I may not "leadership position", I do have alot of influence, authority & responsibility. Most people who I meet for the first time do treat me with respect, and do take the time to get to know me. But you have those few that I just want to say, "My eyes are further north." When I mentioned my frustrations to my dearly beloved, he asked, "Aren't you use to it by now?" Let me see...NO! This is something I never have, and never will be able to just blow off. To accept this is to give in and give up, and you cannot do that when it comes to discrimination because you validate it.

I know that I will probably still be dealing with this. I can't change how I look any more that anybody else can. But for anyone out there who sees an attractive person, do me a favor. Talk to them before you jump to any prejudgements. Maybe you'll change your preconceptions.

No comments: